I Just Got My Braces! Now What?
Congratulations! You are now officially on your way to a healthier, joyful smile!
While each patient’s experience with braces varies, there are some common themes.
- Your teeth will feel loose as the wire applies pressure to the brackets. The braces are moving your teeth into the right position! You may want to take some over-the-counter pain medication to help with any discomfort the movement may cause
- Your new braces may feel like they are sticking out. This sensation will disappear as you get used to the braces. Although the braces are smooth and rounded to help prevent discomfort, the wax we give you is important to use if you experience any gum or cheek irritation from braces. Sometimes a salt-water rinse can be helpful as well within the first few weeks!
- From here on out, avoid sticky or hard foods as well as sugary drinks. These types of foods can bend wires, pop brackets, or increase risk of cavities. Soft foods are usually best the first few weeks after braces as you adjust to them.
- Learn to love flossing and brushing! Clean teeth are healthy teeth. Healthy teeth move faster than teeth that must fight plaque and decay.
- We will see you for orthodontic check-ups every 4-10 weeks. The frequency and type of check-up you receive all depends on your specific treatment plan designed by Dr. Katie to give you the best result.
- In addition to seeing us for check-ups, it is important to continue to visit your dentist on a regular basis while in braces. We suggest visiting the dentist every 6 months for cleanings if you do not already.
Throughout your treatment, our staff is always available to assist! You can reach us by calling into the office, texting directly with staff, emailing directly with staff, or via the website at the button below!
Contact us to schedule a complementary consultation!